How to put an end to that frustrating, debilitating back pain and stiffness without calling the GP, risking surgery or taking painkillers
If you’ve got lower back pain, stiffness or ache, it’s easy to think it’ll simply go away on its own. Or, you think you may have simply ‘slept awkwardly’. Even more common is for people to think it’s simply your age and that it’s ‘normal’ to get back pain.
Often, there’s no reason you can think of that caused the back pain, but it seems to just stick around.
If that’s happening to you, it’s extremely common, and back pain is the single most commonly treated condition at Crawley Physiotherapy Clinic.
And when it comes to living with back pain, everyone wants to know the answers to the questions:
Why is this happening to me?
Why am I still getting this back pain, even after putting up with it for 6 months (sometimes more)?
The truth is most people think their back pain will go away on it’s own. Unfortunately, it’s never quite as simple as that.
6 months down the line the pain is still there, and you’re hoping, even this far in, that one day the pain will just ‘ease’ and you’ll be able to get back to things like normal.
Does this sound like you?
Another scenario we see all the time in our clinic in Crawley is when people go to see their GP, they are told to ‘rest’ and take ibuprofen/paracetamol, and to ‘come back if it doesn’t improve’.
To no surprise, the pain remains 6 weeks later and you return to see the GP, who then gives you more painkillers and advises the same.
After which you feel frustrated and yet again let down by the medical profession and this explains why so many people aged over 50 suffer from chronic back pain.
Has this happened to you?
Well, if it has you, like many people coming to our clinic, are simply in need of answers.
In our experience having treated literally thousands of people with back pain, the majority of the reason it has lasted so long is due to:
- Poor posture from years of sitting and bad postural habits
- Weak lower back and hip muscles due to chronic inactivity and sitting
If you feel pain after a long day at work, or you feel it was after sleeping on it awkwardly, or when you’re on the sofa watching TV in the evening, or when you get into bed, it’s more often than not all because of one of these two (sometimes both!) reasons.
If you don’t know exactly what it is your’e doing wrong with your posture or exactly which muscles are weak and not protecting the lower spine, then it’s only natural to think that back pain is ‘normal’ and it’s just ‘the way things are going to be’.
Is that how you feel sometimes, too?
If you are currently living with back pain, here are 7 reasons why it may lasting longer than it should:
1. You thought it would go away on it’s own, but it didn’t
2. Your GP told you to ‘rest and take painkillers’, which helped initially but as soon as the painkillers wore off the pain returned
3. A family member, or friend told you everyone gets back pain and it’s normal to get back pain as you get older
4. Your received treatment of some kind in the past, even physio, but nothing they did seemed to work
5. You tried exercises you saw on a YouTube video but they didn’t help
6. You tried to rest because you thought being active could have been making it worse, but in fact resting didn’t help at all
7. You got a few massages hoping it would ease the pain, and although it felt a little better immediately after, it did nothing to solve the underlying issue
If any of these apply to you, we invite you to book a call to talk to one of our physiotherapists at Crawley Physiotherapy Clinic. In many ways it’s a good thing if any of the above applies to you because now we know what doesn’t work, we can start focusing on what does.
Click the link below to book a free phone consultation a member of the physio team. We will ask further questions to find out what exactly is going on with your back, and there is absolutely no obligation to book an appointment with us after the call is finished. Our goal is first and foremost to help you decide what options are best for you.
“What can I do right now to help ease my back pain quickly?”
Here are four things we would suggest:
1. Firstly, and most importantly, you need to make a decision about getting help. There is nothing more important than health, and if you want to keep mobile and active in the years to come you need to decide now to do something, so things do not get worse in the future.
2. Next, you need to do the right exercises. The internet is full of advice of what to do for back pain. But no one has the exact same back as yours. And as such, you need to know which exercise will work for you, and which ones won’t. The only way to know which exercises to do is to complete an assessment from a specialist physiotherapist.
3. Avoid sitting and long periods of rest. Sitting for prolonged periods and inactivity causes muscles to get weak, stiff and tight, often causing pain to increase and risk of injury to also increase. Keep a safe, light amount of movement going throughout the day, to keep your joints and muscles active and healthy.
4. Get real, ‘hands-on’ physiotherapy in Crawley. Exercises often aren’t enough. Where muscles have become stiff and tight, hands on manual therapy helps loosen out the back, allowing it to move easier, so you can stand, walk and do daily activity such as stairs with much more ease and comfort.
If you would like to know how the physiotherapists at Crawley Physiotherapy Clinic in Crawley can help you eliminate your back pain, we invite you to apply for an entirely free, 30- minute, no obligation appointment to assess what’s going on with your back, and what options would be best for you going forward:
Note: This Free Taster Session is for people who are unsure about if physiotherapy can help for their back pain. If that sounds like you then please book in for your free 30-minute consultation so we can discuss what we think may help you best going forward, there is absolutely no financial commitment on your part for this appointment.
So the next questions is:
How can choosing to see a physiotherapist at Crawley Physiotherapy Clinic help you get rid of your back pain – in the next few days?
Here are just a few of the things the physio team can do for you:
- We can quickly reduce the pain and stiffness you feel, often within first first couple of sessions
- We can find out what’s actually going on with your back, and why you’re getting the pain, often within 20 minutes
- We can help you finally get some good sleep, and get rid of that night time pain that ‘sucks’ the energy out of you
- We can provide you with the correct exercises that help resolve the underlying issue causing your back pain
- We can get you off those painkillers that you know are not safe for your long-term health
- We can help you avoid dangerous spinal surgery and injections that may not even help with your pain
- We can help you get back to enjoying quality time with your friends and family that your back pain has stole from you
- We can help you sit comfortably and walk for longer without that annoying pain and stiffness that won’t seem to go away
Essentially, we can help you get back to a normal, active and enjoyable life.
If you want to know about costs, and what availability we have this week, then simply click the button below and fill out the short form:
Hear from happy clients of Crawley Physiotherapy Clinic
Brogan M.1708199638Had a bad back and after a deep tissue massage the issue was resolved and the pain was gone!Karen Y.1707587798Short notice booking following chronic back.pain and immobility, got me in short notice, fantastic professional service and after care. Can't recommend enough.Stuart YoungP F.1706874691Went to see Kulraj due to knee pain following torn ligaments. Excersises were very effective an dthe pain cleared quickly. Kulraj was very proffesional and explained what he was doing and why - would not hesitate to go back for other issues. Thank you KulrajJoe C.1706873843I came to Kulraj with an injury that needed sorting. Not only did he fix that, but also identified some underlying issues with my posture and fixed those too!Had me back playing sport quicker than originally thought. Couldn’t recommend him highly enough.Marcus C.1705086998Nice location, great guy! Really helped me with getting me back in action!Chelsea-United1701971161I had pain on my back-shoulder. One of my colleague recommended him.He is a fantastic physiotherapist. Knowledgeable and talented. He caters to one's specific needs and explains in detail some of the possible causes for the issues. Teaches exercises that need to be done at home. I now feel that I am able to manage my issues with confidence.Judith C.1701791676My elderly mother received treatment for prolonged lower back and leg pain. Two months of agony relieved after just one session, this far exceeded our expectations. I really like Kulraj, he is very social and personable but also professional. I would recommend him at any time!Emma B.1699013874I visited Kulraj after being involved in a car accident. He is very knowledgeable and has helped me with my back and hip.Clare G.1698149442Friendly, professional service.Following a RTA Kulraj really helped with my neck and back pain. After a few sessions I could really feel the difference and the terrible headaches I was suffering as a result really improved.Together with treatment in clinic and exercises to follow at home I saw a huge improvement.Would highly recommend.peter K.1695647236I visited Kulraj at Crawley Osteopath after my son who also attends there suggested he might be able to help with my back pain. After a free consultation to understand what I had done Kulraj was able to get me up & running again after only a couple of treatments. I find Kulraj’s approach is very professional and he makes you feel very relaxed. The method of treatment he gave me was different from other osteopaths I have been to. The set of exercises he gave me helped me feel much better in only a short time. I have no hesitation in recommending Kulraj.Shaz C.1694682752Was looking for a local physio to deal with knee issues and pain. Kulraj was incredibly thorough in his assessment. His approach was a little different to other physios I’ve worked with but I feel like his method was far more effective and got me back to better movement & pain free much faster. He’s also been addressing my hip/knee alignment issues which has had flow on benefits for my back and hips. On top of that really lovely to work with. Highly recommended.Lewis B.1677893839I had an ongoing gym related back injury, Kulraj had it rehabbed in under 3 weeks. Excellent service.Adrienne K.1675960379Highly recommend. Kulraj is very knowledgeable, professional and compassionate. He took his time understanding and listening to my issues. I have been suffering long term with lower back issues, not being able to exercise, sit or even lie down comfortably and within x3 sessions he managed to eliminate the pain I was suffering. He also showed me different ways to stretch my back which are now a part of my daily routine. Everything was explained in detail. Lovely, clean working environment.Simon B.1673466793I visited the Tavistock Clinic after an issue with my shoulder.Kulraj was excellent, he spent time discussing the problem and after only two sessions completely sorted out the issue.I have since been back to see Kulraj, who has helped me greatly with advice & further physio, aimed at preventing any issues returning.With his expertise & professionalism I couldn’t recommend him highly enough.Jim N.1667487771Went to see Kulraj with bad back. Very professionally resolved problem. Would thoroughly recommend.Warren K.1662894430After having an ongoing shoulder issue which I had for over a year, I decided to visit the Tavistock Clinic due to the very good reviews.I was not disappointed. Kulraj was quick to root cause my problem, with physio at the clinic and at home exercises; I was back being 100% in a short space of time.The treatment I received was excellent, Kulraj is very professional, friendly and by far the best physiotherapist I've seen. I wouldn't hesitate going back if needed.Rianna D.1662409375I went to the Tavistock Clinic after having upper back and neck pain. Kulraj was really helpful and gave me exercises to compete at home as well as hands on treatment. This has really helped ease the pain and is a massive improvement since I first came to the clinic. Kulraj is really friendly and I would recommend him to anyone considering physio.Robin M.1660930083I had an excellent experience st the Tavistock Clinic, I enquired online and recieved an immediate response and an invite to a free diagnostic session. A program of physio and home exercises was prescribed which really helped with the pain from a sports injury. Kulraj was very friendly and helpful throughout and I will definitely be going back if anything else happens (hopefully not though)Matt L.1660927074I have been visiting the Tavistock clinic now for several months following pain in my upper back and neck. Kulraj has been excellent from the start. The initial consultation was detailed and reassuring and Kulraj took time to explain a course of treatment and follow up exercises to help me. Following regular deep tissue massage sessions with Kulraj the pain in my back and neck has been resolved and my neck mobility has improved massively! Excellent work thank you!Ash M.1660885807It was my first time going to a physio. I had awful back pains for so long(years) and after just 2 sessions I felt amazing. I continued a few more sessions - once every 2 weeks & I can confirm I hardly have any pain in my back anymore. Would recommend this place to everyone for sure! 10/10Robert L.1658164610Having had issues with my knee from years of abuse playing cricket and ignoring the problem, I finally decided to do something about it. After 5 sessions with Kulraj my knee if almost back to where it was before the problems came about. Cannot recommend him enough.Safwat C.1657567967Having had back issues for the last 10 years, I’ve been to several physios, osteopaths and chiropractors. I can honestly say the experience I’ve had with Kulraj has been second to none. He is an expert of his craft and worked wonders within 2 sessions, fixing an issue that had been bothering me for weeks. I would not hesitate in recommending him and he will certainly have my custom for life